2-Step Verification (commonly known as two-factor authentication, or 2FA) acts as an extra layer of security for your wallet. When logging in you will need both the wallet password plus a one-time passcode (OTP) generated by your chosen method of 2FA: Google Authenticator, Yubikey, or SMS codes.
Go to your wallet’s Security section to set up 2FA. Under the Two-Step Verification section, click Enable and choose which option you want to set up.
We recommend Google Authenticator for most users. It doesn’t require an internet connection or phone service to use, and is more secure than SMS due to being offline and local to your device.
- Download the free application from the App Store or Google Play store.
- Under Enable, choose Authenticator App.
- You will be presented with a QR code to scan with your Google Authenticator app.
For those on Android devices: Open Google Authenticator on your device, click the 3 dots in the upper right corner and select Add an account, and Scan a barcode.
For those on iOS devices: Open Google Authenticator on your device, click on the + symbol in the upper right, then click Scan barcode.
- Scan the QR code with your mobile device. Once this is complete, you'll now see your Wallet ID listed in your app with 6 numbers that change randomly every 30 seconds. This is your 2FA code that you will use for logging in.
- Enter the code and press Verify Code.
If you have a Yubikey, you can use it to ensure secure OTP logins into your wallet.
- Under Enable, press the Yubikey button.
- Click inside the field. Insert your Yubikey and press to fill in the code.
- Press Submit.
If you do not have a smartphone, you can opt to have your OTP codes sent to your mobile phone by SMS.
- You will need to link your mobile number. Under Enable, press the Mobile Phone Number button.
- Enter your mobile number in the field and press Get Verification Code.
- You should receive a text message with your verification code. Enter the code and click Submit Code. If you made a mistake inputting the number, press Change mobile number and enter a new number.
Next Step: Make a Wallet Backup